Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ahhh...the Largesse

The money's not huge, but it's nice to know someone's looking after the few dollars musicians do make from concert appearances, cafe gigs etc. A case in point: The Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN). I recall years ago receiving a cheque for $15 after a song of mine appeared on a radio station in Toronto. I had a music publisher at that time, so he would have received 15 big ones, too. Scroll forward a few decades, long after my publishing contract with that individual had expired, and I discover to my dismay that he's still listed as part owner of my song catalogue. No problem says the SOCAN rep. We have your contract on file. Leave it to us. Result: I am once again full owner of my songs. Yes, I know, we only play a few of those older tunes in 2007, but as I also learned to my immense pleasure playing these tunes and more recent ones live, as we did at the Dancing Bean Cafe, a few weeks ago (see Nov 11 entry), should provide me with a better than expected royalty. Nope, not about about to retire from my day job, but given the costs associated with travel, CD production, etc this comes as a welcome surprise.

No comments: